Second week
Home Front:
Electronic gear is fairly cheap here.
Euna had been tracking a particular high(ish) end digital camera for approx 12 months.
It had come down from many - many thousands to NZD1900. Duty free had the same brand for NZD1700. Dick Smith had a weekend special for NZD1600 a week or two before we left.
We thought we'll leave it a while and wait till they came down even further.
Well, we went to a place called Fry's (www.outpost.com), they had the next model up for USD650. Considering that Euna is unable to work here, I thought it was a small price to pay for Euna's sanity and then through the trickle down theory my peace and quiet ;P
And then, I came across their wireless equipment.....
Now, keeping in mind that we had purposely not upgraded our PC equipment at home for a long time and had brought nothing with us....
We now have a laptop, a desktop unit all running wireless adapters connecting to a wireless router (8081.1g) tapping into a 3Mb drainpipe of a connection....
I see ya baby
Got to say, coming off a 56kb, it just seems so unbelieveably quick.
So much so that I can tell when I'm hopping through slower sites (especially sites out of USA). Something I never encountered on the modem before. Mwa hahahaha...
Going back to slower speeds may be troublesome.
Work Front:
Attended a training course this week that covered UML and using the Rational Rose product. It was really good to get some insight into how to use the tool. Also explained why I couldn't seem to make head nor tail of the examples I used to download. Turns out I had been looking at the the start (preliminary use cases) and the end (final class diagrams) without the realising the processing that been applied to arrive at the final product. All very fascinationg.
There is an onsite canteen that has 4 sections.
Sandwhich bar (Subway kinda thing)
Home Cooking bar (steaks, enchiladas, beans, rice)
Grill (burgers, toasted sandwhich)
Salad Bar (well, salads)
They have pretty big servings and at a cost that make it hard to justify making lunch at home.
The only thing that'll hold me back is the fact that'll I'll bloat up like a whale if I get too used to buying my lunch here.
Just quietly there are quite a few for which it is already too late.
Apparently, Texas is the 4th biggest state in the USA for obesecity, and oh my, it shows.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home